MiraDry, a product of over 5 years of research and development at Miramar labs in California, is the latest treatment for hyperhidrosis. This technology uses precise microwave electromagnetic energy to destroy sweat glands while leaving surrounding tissues un-harmed, resulting in an effective, long lasting treatment with no down time. Just two, one hour long treatments will result in significantly reduced sweating with results that last longer than any non-invasive treatment available.
- Current treatments such as Botox and prescription antiperspirants are temporary and work only by disabling the sweat glands. MiraDry is longer lasting because it destroys sweat glands.
- Unlike surgery, MiraDry is non-invasive and has little to no downtime. Many patients return to work after the procedure.
What happens on the day of the procedure?
- The doctor begins by injecting a local anesthetic to the area to be treated. This helps to significantly increase patient comfort
- Next, the doctor performs the treatment using the MiraDry device. He will choose settings specific to your skin anatomy. This procedure takes about an hour for both underarms.
- There is no aftercare after the procedure. You will return in three months to repeat the treatment.
Is there any downtime?
- There is no medical downtime after the procedure.
- You may experience some redness, swelling, and tenderness for up to two weeks. These side-effects are temporary and will clear with time.
- Many patients return to regular activities immediately following the procedure.
How effective is this procedure? When will I notice results and how long will they last?
- As with any procedure, results depend greatly on the patient being treated. In clinical trials, virtually all patients treated with MiraDry experienced reduced sweating.
- You will notice results immediately after the first treatment with increased results after the second treatment.
- In clinical trials, dramatic results were still apparent 12 months after treatment and scientific research shows that sweat glands do not regenerate after treatment.